Tuesday 13 September 2011

Configure MyDocuments to "D" Drive


Set My Documents on a Different Drive

The target folder for "My Documents" is default to be a folder in the C drive (or the "System" drive) i.e. "C:\Documents and Settings\....\My Documents".
It's better to change My Documents to another drive because when Windows crashes, "My Documents" is not effected.

To change (for example, to "D" drive):
  1. Navigate to "My Documents" using one of the following methods:
    - Minimize all Windows and see if "My Documents" is on the desktop.
    - Hold down the Window key and press "E" to open Windows Explorer, "My Documents" should be listed under "Desktop".
    Start > Programs > Accessories > Windows Explorer, "My Documents" should be listed under "Desktop".
  2. Right click on "My Documents" and select "Properties"


  3. Under the "Target" tab, enter the desired location in the "Target:" box or click "Move" and select a target folder. (for example, enter "D:\My Documents"). If the target folder does not exist, you'll get a prompt to create it on the next step.
  4. Click "Apply".
    If the target folder does not exist, Windows will prompt a message to create the folder.
  5. At the prompt to move the existing files and folders from the old location to the new location, click "Yes".
  6. Click "OK".
  7. All shortcuts of "My Documents" are now directed to the new location.

No comments:

Post a Comment